Chimichurri Steak Fajitas (Yes, a lot of steps, but so worth it!)
cook time 10 minutes
servings serves 4-6
Steak + Peppers
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1teaspoon TSIRC chili powder
- 1teaspoon TSIRC smoked paprika
- 1/2teaspoon TSIRC umin
- Zest + juice of 2 limes
- Salt + pepper
- 1 1/2pound flank steak cut into 2-3 three smaller pieces
- 1red bell pepper seeded + sliced
- 1yellow pepper seeded + sliced
- 1poblano pepper seeded + sliced
- 6-8Flour Tortillas warmed
- Queso fresco or crumbled cotija cheese
- Guacamole for serving
- 1cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1-2leave jalapenos or serrano chiles seeded + chopped ( some seeds in for more heat if desired)
- 4cloves garlic grated
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt/pepperto taste
- 1cucumber diced
- 1medium mango peeled + diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/3cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1-2 jalapenosseeded + chopped ( some seeds in for more heat if desired)
- Ssalt/Pepper to taste
- Combine the olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, lime juice and salt + pepper in a gallon sized zip lock bag. Add the steak and rub the marinade into the steak, making sure the steak has been well covered all over. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to overnight (the longer you marinate the steak, the more flavor intensifies).
- Combine all ingredients for the chimichurri in a bowl and toss to combine well. Season with salt, taste and adjust as needed. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the cucumber salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready to cook the steak, heat a large cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. When hot, add the peppers and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir-fry the peppers for 3-4 minutes. Remove the peppers from the pan. Return the pan to medium-high heat. Sear the steak for 3-4 minutes and then flip and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes or until the steak reaches your desired doneness. Cooking times will vary depending on the size and thickness of your steak. Remove from the heat and allow to rest 5-10 minutes, then slice against the grain.
- To serve, divide the steak and peppers among warm tortillas and drizzle with chimichurri. Top with salsa and cheese.